The Governance of the international"4 per 1000" Initiative
The “4 pour 1000” International Initiative was officially launched on 1 December 2015 by Stéphane Le Foll, at the time French Minister of Agriculture, Agri-Food and Forestry, on the occasion of the COP21 held in Paris.
Farmers, economic players, local authorities and States then joined forces with researchers around this initiative, recorded on the solutions agenda (Lima-Paris Agenda for Action) during this same COP.
A first large-scale mobilization on the sidelines of COP22 made it possible to confirm the relevance of the international “4 per 1000” Initiative, to install its governance, and to elect its 1st President Dr Ibrahim Assane Mayaki and its 1st Vice- President, Mr Stéphane Le Foll. Since then, the number of Partners and Members has grown steadily, and numerous meetings of the Initiative’s bodies have been held each year, on the sidelines of the successive Climate COPs.
The four instances ofthe international "4 per 1000" Initiative
Governance is made up of 4 bodies:
- The Forum of Partners, which is consulted on orientations, collaborations and partnerships … Any organization that has signed the Paris Declaration of Intent to become a partner by sharing the principles and objectives of the International “4 per 1000” Initiative actually joins this consultation body.
- The Consortium of Members, which decides on the political orientations, the work programs, the budget, the indicators for the project evaluation reference system … Any non-profit, non-commercial organization that engages in the international “4 per 1000” Initiative by signing the Marrakech Declaration of Intent becomes a member of this decision-making body.
The Bureau, an outgrowth from the Consortium, supports it by providing advice and guidance concerning the work in progress within the framework of the international “4 per 1000” Initiative, the organization of its sessions, in particular between meetings of the Consortium.
It is made up of 13 people elected from the Colleges of the Consortium.
- The Scientific and Technical Committee, a scientific body which gives the orientations of the research program, plays a role of scientific and technical advice for the projects, proposes indicators for the evaluation framework, contributes and validates the constitution of a database for the digital resource center.
It is made up of 14 renowned scientists from 5 continents and covering a wide disciplinary field.
- The Executive Secretariat of the the International “4 per 1000” Initiative, which supports the 3 previous bodies.
Last figuresDecember 2022
Number of partners of the Forum of the Initiative
Number of members of the Consortium
Number of Experts composing the Scientific and Technical Committee
Interactive Map of Partners and Membersof the "4 per 1000" Initiative
Mr. Stéphane Le Foll, former French Minister of Agriculture, Agri-Food and Forestry, Mayor and President of the metropolis of Le Mans, was elected President of the consultation (Forum of Partners) and decision-making bodies (Consortium of Members) of the International “4 per 1000” Initiative. The Dr. Mayaki, Executive Secretary of Nepad and former Prime Minister of Niger, and Ms. Gabrielle Bastien, Founder and Co-Director of Regeneration Canada, were elected Vice-Presidents of the International “4 per 1000” Initiative.
The Governanceat a glance
Find out how our bodies work:
Read the reports of the meetings of the Consortium of Members and Forum of Partners
- 5th “4 per 1000” Initiative Day – 10 Nov. 2021 – COP 26 Glasgow : minutes and documents available on the conference website
- 4th “4 per 1000” Initiative Day, 9-10 Dec. 2020 – webconference : minutes and documents available on the conference website
- 3rd “4 per 1000” Initiative Day, 11 Dec. 2019 – COP 25 Madrid : minutes and documents available on the conference website
- 2nd “4 per 1000” Initiative Day, 13 Dec. 2018 – COP 24 Katowice : minutes and documents available on the conference website
- 1st “4 per 1000” Initiative Day, 16 Nov. 2017 – COP 23 Bonn : minutes and documents available on the conference website
- 2nd Consortium of Members, 29-30 Juin 2017 – Montpellier : documents available here
- 1st Consortium of Members – 17 Nov. 2016 – COP 21 Marrakech : documents available here
- 1st Forum of Partners – 16 Nov. 2016 – COP 21 Marrakech : documents available here
Strategic Plan of the international “4 per 1000” Initiative
On June 15, 2020, the Consortium of Members approved the Strategic Plan for the International “4 per 1000” Initiative, which will guide its action until 2050.