The "4 per 1000" Call for formative assessment of projects
Every year, the "4 per 1000" International Initiative launchs a call for formative assessment of projects. The objective of this assessment is double:
- Modality 1 goes to new projects looking for funds to be implemented. In this case the aim is to improve project actions and increase the chances for approval by funders. There will be no commitment from the “4 per 1000” Initiative to ensure funding for the projects.
- Modality 2 goes to on-going projects looking for "recognition" within the framework of the "4 per 1000" through the STC assessment. In this case the aim is to aid projects, through expert advice, in achieving goals that are in conformity with the aims of the “4 per 1000” Initiative and that methods are in place to monitor progress during project implementation
The procedure is applicable for the implementation of an agricultural practice, for the development or implementation of a project (e.g. soils restoration in a given area) or of a policy proposal. Research projects may be assessed if they include an implementation aspect. This may include project holders (individuals or organizations) from various regions and conditions.
A set of criteria, indicators, methods and units of measurements has been developed by the Scientific and Technical Committee (STC) of the “4 per 1000” Initiative, and approved by the Consortium, to provide guidance to project proposers and formative assessment of projects. The assessment is carried out by the STC of the “4 per 1000” Initiative, with help from external reviewers if required, using this set of indicators.
After completion of the assessment process, the project holders receive a report including the assessment result and recommendations from the STC. A short description of the projects that are in conformity with the aims of the “4 per 1000” Initiative is introduced in the website and receive a final consideration of the assessment for its supporting by appropriate funding from funders compatible with the goal of the Initiative.
Prior to the assessment of a project by the STC, we recommend using tools for the estimation of the carbon balance such as the tools from the Carbon Benefits Project (https://cbp.nrel.colostate.edu), or the EX-Ante Carbon balance tool (EX-ACT) by FAO (http://www.fao.org/in-action/epic/ex-act-tool/suite-of-tools/ex-act/en/). These are available free of charge after registration.
Information, consultations and submission
The “4 per 1000” Executive Secretariat is the contact point between the projects holders and the “4 per 1000” Initiative for all general matters related to the call.
Questions concerning the submission of projects and other general questions, as well as the finalized submission file should be sent to the Executive Secretariat at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Third call for formative assessment of projects
The third call of projects for formative assessment is opened on May 15, 2021. The most relevant information on the scope of the call, application procedure, calendar, criteria used for the evaluation of projects and contact details can be found in the dedicated page.
Second call for formative assessment of projects
Further to the success of the first call in 2019, the 4p1000 Initiative and the World Agrorestry (ICRAF) launched the second call for formative assessment of projects. This original idea aimed to bring out field projects in the spirit and framework of the objectives of the "4 per 1000" Initiative, projects to be submitted to the STC evaluation. Projects that received a positive appraisal will be offered to major international donors who will be able to grasp them and submit them to their own selection criteria for funding. The call opened on May 15 2020 and closed on July 15, 2020 and 15 projects have been received. Selected projects are
- PFA_14_2020_Equateur_Réhabilitation de la forêt de Guayraloma. Restauration de la forêt : remplacement de l'eucalyptus par l'agave et le genêt
- PFA_20_2020_India_Soil fertility restoration: Integrated soil restoration management ~ 1000ha - Agri-horti-forestal (Wadi) ~ 2700ha
- PFA_24_2020_Iraq_Planter un million d'arbres : recherche pour le contrôle de la désertification par le boisement en Irak
- PFA_26_2020_Mexique_Remise en état des sols : restauration des sols et agroforesterie
Guidelines for the call can be downloaded here.
First call for formative assessment of projects
Further to the first call closed in September 2019, 13 projects have been received. The projects have been assessed by the STC members and the summary report of the assessment together with the recommendations to improve the project were sent to the project holders at the end of January 2020. Taking into account the summary report and the recommendations from the assessment of every project, the STC and the Executive Secretary of the “4 per 1000” Initiative consider that the following four projects are in line with the objectives of the “4 per 1000” Initiative and hope that each of these projects will be supported by appropriate funding from funders compatible with the goal of the Initiative. The remaining nine projects received recommendations on how to improve the project in order to be in line with the objectives of the “4 per 1000” Initiative. Selected projects are (details in the final report):
• PFA-01 Feed the Future Resilient Agricultural Markets Activity-Beira Corridor (RAMA-BC)
• PFA- 03 Land for Life
• PFA- 06 Wheat for climate and people (WPC)
• PFA- 07 Soil Restoration and Multifunctionality of degraded forest lanscapes in Ivory Coast (TERRI4SOL)