Official 4 per 1000 events
1st Latin America and Carribean Regional Conference (LAC) - postponed May / June 2022 - Goiânia (Brazil)
The 4per1000 Initiative - Soil for Food Security and Climate, the Brazilian Agricultural Research Corporation (Embrapa), together with other local partners, are pleased to invite you to participate in the 4p1000 Latin America and the Caribbean Symposium in Goiânia, Brazil. This two-days conference is hosted by the Federação de Agricultura e Pecuária do Estado de Goiás. It will be followed by a field trip, and preceded by the 9th meeting of the 4per1000 Initiative’s Scientific and Technical Committee, hosted at Embrapa Rice and Beans research center in Goiânia.
Stakeholders representing the diversity of agricultural production systems and concepts in LAC region - small to large industrial scale production farms, farmers and farmers'organizations, policy makers, researchers, related industries, multi and bilateral funders...are welcome.
Joint webinar European Parliament-"4 per 1000" Initiative - 8 Sept. 2021
The theme of this webinar was Accelerating carbon farming - How to make Carbon Farming a Success for Climate, Environment and Farmers ?
During this panel, each speaker has been asked to discuss the following questions:
- How to ensure than carbon farming actually delivers the expected outcome in terms of climate mitigation and biodiversity protection on one side, and on farmers’ additional revenues on the other side?
- How the carbon market, and at which price, can incentivize properly farmers?
- How to ensure permanence of action in order to secure lasting climate action?
- Who would be liable for the proper management and maintenance of agricultural practices benefiting the climate? etc.
5th "4 per 1000" Initiative Day - Nov. 10th, 2021
In the changing context of the crisis, it is likely that the format of COP 26 will not be exactly the same as in the past and that the number of participants who will travel to Glasgow will be much smaller. As a result, the fifth day of the “4 per 1000” Initiative will still be held in a mixed in-person and online format on the morning of November 10 for the Forum of Partners (consultative and discussion body) and in the afternoon for the Consortium of Members (decision-making body). The Partners' Forum will be opened by a High-Level Segment when personalities representing Members and Partners will be invited to take the floor to present their activities and their vision for the implementation of the Initiative's Strategic Plan.
The general theme of this "4 per 1000" day will be the mobilization of actors (partners, members and supporters of the Initiative) through multi-stakeholder coalitions for the implementation of the 2050 Strategic Plan and its action plan. Further details on the program, logistics and online registration will be communicated soon
4 per 1000 fair at EU Green Week - 3 May to 13 June 2021 - online
The EU Green Week took place from May 3 to June 13 2021 dedicated to the theme ZERO POLLUTION for healthier people and planet. In this framework, the Initiative 4 per 1000 held a virtual fair on the theme "Reducing Greenhouse Gas - air pollution through improved soil health". It was the opportunity to raise the voices of our "4 per 1000" partners and friends and more than 120 organizations participated in the "4 per 1000" Initiative Virtual Fair!
This event, which will remain online in the coming months, allowed Partners and Members of the Initiative to create a stand to present their activities and projects, to share information, to connect and to exchange with other exhibitors or visitors. . Three important moments punctuated the Virtual Fair of the International "4 per 1000" Initiative:• The Official Opening on May 3, 2021 in the presence of Catherine Geslain-Lanéelle, Director Life 3 at the General Secretariat of the Council of the European Union, Stéphane Le Foll, President of the International "4 per 1000" Initiative, Dr. Ibrahim Mayaki, Vice-President of the "4 per 1000" Initiative, Executive Secretary of NEPAD, and Gabrielle Bastien, Vice-President of the "4 per 1000" Initiative, Founder and Co-Director of Regeneration Canada.
• On June 1, 2021, in partnership with the United Nations Decade for the Restoration of Ecosystems 2021-2030, the event “A world tour of restoration from the virtual Fair“ 4 per 1000 ””, presented the diversity of the work and solutions of Members, Partners and friends of the International "4 per 1000" Initiative. This event showcased and illustrated:
- the diversity of solutions the “4 per 1000” Members, Partners and Friends of the Initiative work on, especially the solutions focused on restoration.
- the power of the “4 per 1000” network and of its electronic collaborative platform
- how the participants to the virtual fair of the "4 per 1000" Initiative have identified collaboration opportunities and got to know each other
- It will also raise public awareness on the role of soil health.
• The closing and review meeting was held on was held on June 11, 2021.
The Fair remains active. You can always use the event and the page to introduce yourself and your work, to show what you do (section: request a stand).
Latin America and the Carribean webinar - Dec. 16, 2020 - 12h00 - 14h00 - America / Sao Paulo GMT - 3h00
The objective of this webinar was to introduce the mission and objectives of the 4/1000 Initiative and strengthen its interaction with stakeholders. This first webinar will be followed by others, focusing on topics selected by the audience, before the Regional Conference to be held on May 12-14, 2021 at Goiânia (Brazil).
Program and details: https://www.4p1000.org/sites/default/files/content/programme_2020-11-25.pdf
Online 4th "4 per 1000" Initiative Day - 9th - 10th December 2020
Since 2016, The 4 per 1000 Initiative used to organize its Initiative Day during the UNFCCC COP. This year in the unusual context of the CoVid 19, the COP will not take place in Glasgow (Scotland) and has been postponed to 2021 . It was therefore decided that the 4th "day" of the "4 per 1000" Initiative would be held online, in two parts:
- The Forum of Partners with a High Level Segment on December 9, 2020
- The Consortium of Members on December 10, 2020 to make the decisions that will allow the Initiative to continue its activities in 2021.
Watch the meeting on the 4 per 1000 Youtube channel
High Level Segment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLBiMwKZabo
Forum partners: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-_UlloJYAQ
ONLINE - 1st North American regional meeting - May 11 - 15 , 2020
The 1st "4 per 1000" North America Regional Meeting (in partnership with Regeneration Canada and the financial support of the French Embassy in Washington DC, USA) took place online from 11 to 15 May 2020. Due to the unprecedented global situation related to the pandemic of CoVid19, the Executive Secretariat had to cancel the face to face meeting that was to be held on 17 and 18th March in Montreal, Canada, on the sidelines of the Living Soils Symposium.
Almost 200 participants: national and international practitioners, experts and decision makers, attended the 5 sessions of 90 to 120 minutes, each day from 11 to 15 May, to listen, comment and ask questions while sharing experiences with the speakers on the relationship between soil and climate and beneﬁts of soil health, more specifically in Canada and in the USA. How to move from a Pilot Project to a Large-Scale Development was the question raised through presentations of concrete results in each of the categories of actors and stakeholders (farmers, scientists, NGOs, private sector companies).
On Day 1, on 11 May 2020, the first "4 per 1000" North America Regional Meeting was opened by Dr. Paul Luu, Executive Secretary of the "4 per 1000" Initiative and Mr. Antonious Petro, Scientific Director of Regeneration Canada. The situation of the "4 per 1000" Initiative, 4 years after its creation at COP 21 of UNFCCC in Paris, has been presented by Dr. Luu. Then, four governmental speakers made presentations dedicated to policies on soil health and soil carbon sequestration at the national and regional levels in North America. The following days were organized around four round tables:
- Round Table n°1: Farmers' experiences and proposals from the ground.
- Round Table n°2: Science point of view
- Round Table n°3: Civil society and the point of view of NGOs
- Round Table n°4: Experience of businesses (production and value chains, carbon accountability, etc.)
with a balance between experiences and success stories from the ground, scientific evidence and advances, examples of advocacy for soil health, and progress in characterizing carbon sequestration. At the end of each Round Table, an online survey in the form of a Multiple Choice Questionnaire (MCQ) has been proposed to attendees, in order to gather their opinion on a few targeted questions.
To be noted: Videos from the 5 sessions are available via the new "4 per 1000" YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvBmNtaHxi3PcvbUkkL_UQg/playlists
Presentations are also available for the Partners and Members on the collaborative platform of the "4 per 1000" Initiative.
To read the report, click here.
Third "4 per 1000" Initiative Day - December 11, 2019, Madrid, Spain
On the occasion of the COP 25 de l’UNFCCC organized in Madrid under the Chilean Presidency (from December 2 to 13, 2019), the 4 per 1000 Initiative "Soil for Food Security and Climate" organized, with the support of the Spanish Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food, the 3rd "4 per 1000 Initiative Day", on 11 December 2019. This 3rd "4 per 1000 Initiative day" was divided in three parts:
- A long morning (until 3:30 PM), starting with an inaugural session including speeches from Mr. Luis PLANAS, Minister of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food of Spain, Mr. Didier GUILLAUME, Minister of Agriculture and Food of France and Mr. Wolfgang ZORNBACH, Chair of the day, from the Federal Ministry of Food and Agriculture of Germany, followed by an introductory part bringing together personalities during a High Level Segment;
- and then the 4th Forum of Partners with, this year, only plenary sessions;
- In the afternoon, the 5th meeting of the Consortium reserved for Consortium's Members only
The Agenda of the day is available on the conference website, as well as all the preparatory documents, presentations and videos.
The “4 per 1000” conference has been retransmitted in the youtube of the Spanish Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Fish.
Feedback from Members or Partners:
Second "4 per 1000" Initiative Day - December 13, 2018, Katowice, Poland
On the occasion of the UNFCCC COP 24 (3-14 December 2018) organized in Katowice, Poland, the "4 per 1000 Initiative: Soils for Food Security and Climate" organizes, in partnership with the University of Silesia, the 2nd "4 per 1000 Initiative Day" on December 13, 2018.
This day, that was held one year after the first edition, becomes annual on the sidelines of the UNFCCC COPs and brought together the 4th meeting of the Consortium of Members and the 3rd meeting of the Forum of Partners of the Initiative.
Conference website: https://4per1000day2018.sciencesconf.org/
Watch the conference: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ynTRMUR09rw
The 4 per 1000 Initiative was also involved in two side-events Agriculture Advantage 2.0 at COP24, organized by the CGIAR Research Program on Climate Change, Agriculture and Food Security (CCAFS):
First Africa “4 per 1000” Symposium: Building synergies across Africa to advance on soils for food security and climate - October 24 - 26, 2018, Johannesburg
The event was jointly organized by NEPAD, Regeneration International and the “4 per 1000” Initiative. 104 participants from 16 African countries together with Partners from the EU, North- and South America, came together in Johannesburg for the 4 per 1000 Africa Symposium on Soils for Food Security and the Climate. Current insights into existing initiatives in Africa led by NEPAD, governments and civil society organisations were presented and discussed. Conversations and working groups were conducted around the four interconnected pillars of the 4 per 1000 initiative: soil health, food security, adaptation to climate change and contribution to global climate change mitigation.
The outcome report is under preparation and will be presented at the 4 per 1000 Initiative Day on 13 December in Katowice, Poland. Among the main conclusions were:
- There is a need to close the gap between research and the civil society. We need to stop the dichotomy between “us” and “them” and work closer together.
- African agriculture can contribute to solving many of the world’s problems. Promising ways and effective tools to restore and conserve the land while fighting hunger and poverty are partly known, we need to focus on spreading the knowledge and identifying concrete investment options to accelerate implementation and up-scaling.
- Ecosystem degradation and climate change are aggravating rapidly. We have no time to lose and need to focus on the synergies between our different initiatives in each region.
Following the Symposium, Regeneration International launched a letter to highlight the huge potential of soil restoration and conservation for tackling migration issues the world is currently facing. We invite all members to read it and support it with your signature as well as share it among your networks:
From Forced Migration to Regeneration: An Open Letter to the Citizens of the Global North
De la migration forcée à la Régénération: Lettre Ouverte aux Citoyennes et Citoyens des pays du Nord
De la Migración Forzada a la Regeneración: Carta Abierta a las y los Ciudadanos del Norte Global
2nd Consortium of Members - June 29-30, 2017, Montpellier, France
This meeting gathered around one hundred participants, representing members from all continents (States and public bodies, higher education and research institutes, foundations, donors, NGOs, farmer associations...). Download presentations, reports and other documents in the dedicated website.
Conference website: https://4per1000.sciencesconf.org/
First "4 per 1000" Initiative Day - November 16, 2017, Bonn, Germany
On the occasion of the UNFCCC COP 23 (6-17 November 2017) organized in Bonn, the "4 per 1000 Initiative: Soils for Food Security and Climate" organized, with the support of the German Food and Agriculture Ministry (BMEL) and the Federal Office for Agriculture and Food (BLE), the "4 per 1000 Initiative Day" on 16 November 2017. The Iniative Day includes the 2nd Forum of partners and the 3rd Consortium of members
Conference website: https://4per1000day.sciencesconf.org/?lang=en